Medicare announced this morning that they are waiving all restrictions on telehealth billing to help contain the COVID-19 outbreak. Here is what you need to know.
- Use regular E&M codes for your Medicare patients.
- Use modifier GT to indicate the visit was done via telehealth. **UPDATE – Medicare no longer uses GT modifier. Place of service 02 is enough to indicate telehealth.**
- Use place of service 02 to indicate the visit was done via telehealth
- HIPAA restrictions on video technology have been waived. This means that your providers can use Skype, FaceTime, WhatsApp, RingCentral, and other commercially available video conferencing software for the time being.
- If using asynchronous video use modifier GQ.
Please encourage all your providers to use telehealth services whenever possible. Keeping ourselves, our patients, and our providers away from sick people is best and easiest way to stop the spread of this illness. For our providers who must still see patients in person, we have a simple suggestion to help keep your patients healthy.
Instead of having people in your waiting room, have them wait in their cars. Have patients call to check in when they get to your office, and, once a room is ready, call them. An MA or provider can meet them at the front door and take them directly to a room. In between patients, each room can be quickly sanitized.
We can all do our parts to protect the people most vulnerable to this virus. If you have any questions about telehealth in your state or how to bill Medicare or how to add these procedures to your office, please call (909) 610-9524 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.